“There’s nothing like the first time.” – Katy Perry
This fall, my story “Insight” will greet the world in Shelter of Daylight, a biannual SF/F anthology. I got the word Sunday from editor Tyree Campbell, and it was enough to put me on cloud ten for the rest of the day. Who am I kidding? I’m still stoked. This will be my first story in PRINT!
“Insight” won first place in a college competition over ten years ago, but since 2009 it’s been rejected by thirteen markets. Both Apex Magazine and Shimmer had some nice things to say, and Abyss and Apex said there was nothing wrong with the story—it just boiled down to the editor’s taste. But I never lost hope. I believed in this story, and I knew there had to be an editor out there who agreed with me.
In other news, I’ve submitted this week’s Write1Sub1 to Brain Harvest and started on next week’s submission. It’s another Mercer (“Soul Smuggler”) tale, and it incorporates some recent weird news stories. Interest piqued?
Finally, I would be remiss if I didn’t thank Jennifer Hillier for the “Stylish Blogger Award” she has so graciously bestowed upon me. As the beneficiary, I must share 7 random things about myself. Yikes. So…
1. I’ve discovered Zoe Keating and can’t get enough cello.
2. I’m a connoisseur of fine vanilla chai lattes.
3. I’m always in the middle of reading at least two good books (Kindle/traditional).
4. I often need to slow down and live in the moment.
5. I adore the Pacific (but haven’t surfed since August). =[
6. I could watch Serenity every night and never get tired of it.
7. I wake up every morning grateful for the unfathomable, unconditional love of God.
Share the randomness! Tell me a fascinating fact about yourself in a comment below: