Once upon a time, Ray Bradbury was a struggling young writer in love with the craft. He wrote a story every week, polished it as fast as he could, and submitted it to a magazine. Rejection letters flooded in, mainly due to his prolific number of submissions: the more you write, the more responses you get. There were also acceptance letters along the way, and they inspired Bradbury to keep doing what he loved: telling stories as only he could.
Next year, starting on 1/1/11, you're invited to follow in Ray Bradbury's shadow.
Here's the challenge, should you choose to accept it:
• Write and submit a short story every week, starting the first week of January 2011 and ending the last week of December 2011.
• Goal: 52 new submissions in 52 weeks.
• You don't have to write and submit the same story within the same week--although that's what Bradbury did. (Sometimes it’s better to set a story aside for a while and come back to it.)
• The length of your story can be as short as Twitter fiction (140 characters) or as long as a novelette (15,000 words). Any style, any genre: whatever you want to write.
• Every week we'll add a "check-in" post where you can tell the world about your progress. Share your triumphs and disasters or Tweet them with the #write1sub1 Twitter hashtag.
Up to the challenge? Visit Write1Sub1 to sign up, follow Write1Sub1, add the badge to your blog, and let the world know about the adventure you'll be embarking upon next year!
(Write1Sub1 is the unexpected result of my creative insanity combined with that of Simon Kewin. It's something I've dreamed of doing at some point, someday, far in the future. Apparently, 2011 is the future.)
Spread the word!